Thursday, March 11, 2010

Plein Air!



I have once again started Plein Air painting, which is the first time I've posted any on this blog. I forgot how much I missed it!

In fact, it had been so long since I last touched my oil paints, that I did not have a tube of white. Or a tube of Burnt Umber. Or a tube of ultramarine blue. So the first painting was done that first day I went out, as a very spur of the moment thing, tossing all of the little tubes of oil paint I had into my easle, whereupon I discovered my lack of these three important pigments. But since I was there, and it was a beautiful day, I thought I would give it a try anyways.

I went back yesterday and did the second piece, after having carefully gone back through my supply of paints to select my colors with more prejudice. Did I mention that I've never painted white water rapids before? (The previous day totally doesn't count) And I've never done rocks from anything more than a photograph? This painting challenged me. Which is a good thing. But man, it was hard.

2 comments:

Rachel E Schneider said...

they look great! glad to see you doing some traditional medium work, in color. That is some beautiful water!

Annika said...

I agree, beautiful water! I love the second one, good to see you trying new things. hope you're doing well :)